Sunday, May 21, 2006

Pre-Draft Entry for Fri April 14, 2006

Just finished reviewing my entries from 2005. While I wasn't necessarily on target with individual game predictions, my thoughts on the Giants, as a team, were solid. Here is my thinking two weeks before draft day after a rather hum-drum free agency period:

1. The Defense needs to be rebuilt. OSI and Pierce are the only two solid pieces at this point (Strahan will play, but how much gas is left in his tank? ... and besides, my focus here is building the team of the next 5-8 years, not just 2006/07). All the emphasis during free agency was on the cornerback/safety spots... but it is the front 7 that wins football and the Giants need to add 3 more all-pro caliber players to join Osi and Pierce - that's three drafts and since each draft needs 2 years minimum for impact - that means we are 4-5 years out.

2. The offense should dominate starting this year. This is Eli's 3rd season and he is going to have to start earning his rep. What scares me the most is that he has simply not impressed me. His accuracy is atrocious. He throws off balance. If he doesn't show dramatic improvement, he will look like a mistake to me - he may become a mediocre or even a good player... but if he is going to be a great all-pro quarterback, he better start showing it this year - and showing it dramatically and in a big way. More than the 300 yard games - more than the wonder finishes... I want to see great throws time in and time out... I want to see great accuracy... I want to see the ball in the sweet spot 90 percent of the time with the receivers not breaking stride... My fear... and prediction... is that we are not going to see that with Eli... not for a few years anyway... And that will put a limit on what should otherwise be a great offense.

3. Overall Team Positional Needs: OLB (2) DT RB WR DE TE

4. My 2006 Draft Desires (not a prediction) By Round:
1st: OLB
2nd: RB
3rd: OLB
4th: DT

No comments: