Sunday, August 22, 2010

Two Games Before Season Begins

I'm not a happy fan. I've been dealing with the ups and downs of pre-seasons most of my 58 years on this planet. I know all the platitudes... it's only pre-season ... it's only the first (or second) game ... they are not putting in their full packages and schemes ... they are holding out many starters who would normally be playing if the games were for real ... these are games played by players who won't be on any NFL roster come September ... blah blah blah.

All of that is true. But all of that is also completely beside the point. I'm disappointed. I've not seen anything that has me excited. I'm unhappy. It certainly has nothing to do with the scoring. And I'm certainly not worried about the play of the 2nd or 3rd stringers. And I realize it's difficult to make evaluations with so many injured players kept completely out of the games.

But - and this is a very big but - what I expect to see from these games is some inkling that the major issues of 2009 have been addressed. That 2010 will be completely different than 2009. I expect to see things that give me hope. And thus far I've seen nothing of the sort. Not even a glimmer. So, yes, it is only pre-season and maybe everything is fine. But on the other hand maybe not. That's the point. Thus far, the Giants' starters have not provided even the slightest reason to believe that they have turned the corner and that 2009 is in the past and that they have righted their ship.

It was, and remains, my opinion that the biggest problem of 2009 was the Giants inexplicable inability to stop the run. Stopping the run on defense is basic stuff. Football 101. Something that should be evident from even game one of any pre-season. And, based upon my eyes, they have been horrific against the run thus far, despite the platitudes thrown around by Carl Banks last evening. In game one the Jets gashed them up the middle and last night Pittsburgh continued the assault.

Coughlin correctly pronounced stopping the run as criteria number one for turning things around in 2010. And thus far, by my eyes, the Giants have failed miserably in that endeavor. So, yes, it's only pre-season. But I know this much. What I hoped to see was the Giants stuffing every single run attempt between the tackles. Instead what I've seen is a total failure in that regard. Does it matter? Maybe not. But one thing is for sure - they haven't given me any reason to believe they are going to be dominant against the run in 2010.

I'm less concerned about the other two critical failures of 2009 - the pass rush and the running game. The pass rush is too dependent upon schemes that are simply not going to be shown or put on display during a pre-season game. And the offensive line woes thus far make evaluating the running game impossible. Suffice it to say that neither area has me jumping out of my seat in joy - but I at least feel comfortable knowing there is a reason for that.

But, special teams, on the other hand, has to be a major concern. I don't know the statistics, but I have to believe the Giants ended 2009 towards the bottom of the NFL with respect to opponents starting field position after a kickoff. And I see very little evidence of improvement in 2010. Worse yet, it appears the Giants punting game will be worse - perhaps much much worse - in 2010. Football is all about field position and it appears likely the Giants will fight the field position battle with one hand tied behind their backs throughout 2010.

So, yes, it's "only the pre-season". But I know this much for certain. Their play thus far has left me disappointed and failed to generate any excitement. In fact, truth be told I can't recall any other pre-season in my 58 years that has left me more disappointed. I keep telling myself these are meaningless pre-season games, but all I know is that feeling fantastic about their play sure would have been a nice alternative.

No comments: