Saturday, October 25, 2008

Rumble in the Steel City

Last week's game isn't worth talking about other than the fact the Giants got a W. The paddy cake portion of the schedule is over and tomorrow the Giants head into the teeth of the schedule. Of all the teams in the NFL, I think the two that would cause the most problems for the Giants are the Steelers and the Eagles. The common denominator? Both are about as physical as you are going to see.

I saw a good portion of the Eagles-Steelers game a few weeks ago - the only Steelers loss so far this season. It was a war. A blood bath. A game so physical it still makes me shake my head in wonderment weeks later. Perhaps the most physical game of football I have seen in my lifetime.

I am not as worried about a loss as I am about how the Giants play. A loss is a one game thing and the Giants are not going to go 15-1 this year, so a loss here, especially to an AFC team, just wouldn't be all that big of a concern. What I fear more is the Giants being physically dominated... pushed around. If it happens, it could have lingering effects far beyond one game - both to the Giants' psyche as well as a confidence builder to the teams left on the schedule.

Worse, this game is being played in Pittsburgh where the Steelers rarely lose, especially to NFC teams. It is going to be a war and the key is going to be the Giants defense. The Giants offense is not going to score many points. I'll be amazed if the Giants score 20 points - 10 is a much more realistic number. The key is going to be the Giants defense, both for winning the game but more importantly for responding in kind to the physical dominance I expect to see from the Steeler's D. The Giants have to respond in kind and out hit the Steelers defense to come out of this game with any semblance of respect.

Prediction: Steelers 24 Giants 10

No comments: