Sunday, November 12, 2006

Giants - Bears Preview

Busy week with no chance to post to my weblog. Or maybe I was just avoiding the task of recording my thoughts, hoping perhaps I'd see things differently with the passing of yet another day.

I was not at all happy with last week's win over the Texans. Yes, a win is a win. That is true and it gives the Giants a five game winning streak and an important two game lead in the Division. But... and there are plenty of "buts". The Giants didn't play well. They escaped. That is all they did.

Before last week's game, I was sharply focused on tonight's big match up with the Bears. Little did I realize that by the time tonight rolled around that winning tonight's game would be the least of my worries. I am extremely concerned about the entire second half of the season - for two reasons.

First, obviously, has to be the injuries. The defense has been decimated. I have not read anything indicating how serious the injuries to Osi and Tuck are - nor when we can anticipate their return. Add the injuries to Strahan, Arrington and Short and the ability of the defense to hold things together has to be seriously questioned. Generating a pass rush will be difficult, which will pressure an already suspect Giants secondary. And an inability to defend the pass will itself create cracks in the Giants strength against the run. Sure, things could be worse. They at least have a first round pick in Kiwi and rookie Wilkinson looks like the real deal. But...

Secondly, I have been concerned about the offense these past few games. The defense had been carrying the offense on this winning streak. The running game has not been dominant. Eli has not had to carry this team on his shoulders - which is a good thing because he hasn't look capable of doing so these past few weeks. But with the injuries on defense, now is the time for the offense to take over. But... (yea another but) the loss of Toomer is a major blow. There simply is no player on the roster capable of taking his place. They need that control receiver. The money receiver that will not drop the pass. That can do the toe dance on the sidelines. The "go to" receiver when they really need to move the chains.

Injuries on defense. The offense not ready for prime time. It just doesn't make me feel warm and cuddly all over. Last week's concerns regarding "confidence" when the Giants meet the Bears in Chicago next January are history. If the Giants lose tonight and are fortunate enough to find themselves in Chicago this January, the Giants will be a totally different team by then. What happened tonight won't really matter. Besides, with all the injuries, they will have plenty of excuses to explain away tonight's score.

No, my concern is more basic. Will the Giants go on a four week losing streak while waiting for the injured to return to the field? I sure hope not, but I am holding my breath.

Tonight's game has all the makings of a disaster for the Giants. The Bears were embarrassed last week. At home. The Giants are left to deal with the hornet's nest Miami stepped on last week. The Giants need a pass rush but I don't know where it will come from. They need their explosive offense tonight but the weatherman doesn't seem to want to help. They need to run the ball, but Chicago is dominating against the run. So they will try to pass but Eli has not exactly looked like his brother these past few weeks and now without Toomer...

The Bears are going to bring the pressure. Plaxico is right - the secondary is not the strength of the Bears defense. The front seven is where the tiger lives. And the tiger is hungry and growling and I feel that Eli will be their primary target. If I am the Bears, the secret to tonight's game is to put Manning on his back after every single pass.

If I am the Giants, I use the no huddle up tempo offense right out of the gate. A lot of two step drops with short crisp patterns to Shockey and Burress. Lots of Tiki and even more of Jacobs. It can be done. Look at Rutgers. But I am worried. Not about the Bears game but about the Giants ability to keep this thing together. It is time for the offense to step up and carry this team for the next 3-4 games. Let's hope they are up for the challenge.

No comments: